multilingual search engines

Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 13:12:11 EST

We're looking for a multilingual search engine to use with our internal and
external web sites. The criteria I have in mind are those in Thierry Sourbier's
paper on "Keys to Building a Multlingual Search Engine":
- all text processing as normalized Unicode or UTF-8
- language-specific text parsing, in particular word breaking
- storage of indeces as Unicode or UTF-8
Does anyone know of an available search engine with these capabilities?

Failing this, what are some of the best search engines for monolingual searching
of a segmented web site -- one in which any query will be processing text in
a single language?

Joe Ross
Tivoli Systems