Re: [nelocsig] Re: Generic Unicode font handling

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 12:00:28 EST

Frank da Cruz wrote:

> Who can't read this?

Well, I can't really read and understand it, but it looks like German
and Cyrillic. Netscape Communicator 4.61 does not pay attention to the
MIME Content-Type charset in email (and netnews), so I had to manually
set the charset to UTF-8 via a menu. However, the current version of
Mozilla 5.0 does use the MIME charset, and it displayed fine without
user intervention.

I also had a look at the "source", and it did have the expected
Content-Type header, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding had been changed
to Base64 by a local intermediary (a server here at Netscape that sits
between unicode.org and my mail server). It probably made the change
because the incoming mail was 8bit and the next server in the chain was
not able to handle the 8bit extension of SMTP. (This is my guess.)

Erik