Myanmar text ( was RE: unicode and malayalam)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 20:43:42 EST

John Hudson asked:

> At 12:27 PM 02-12-99 -0800, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>
> >My suggestion, for those concerned, would be to take the Devanagari
> >chapter of the Unicode Standard as a model, and then work with experts
> >on the script(s) of concern, and develop full descriptions posted
> >somewhere on the web, with examples. Those descriptions could help
> >developers working on particular scripts -- and could serve as input for
> >review by the UTC to seed the preparation of text that would actually
> >go into the standard in its next revision.
>
> Do you know if anyone is working on such a text for Burmese/Myanmar? I'm
> hoping to meet with Justin Watkins, John Okell's replacement at SOAS, when
> I am in London in January, and I want to take him as much Burmese related
> Unicode material as I can get together.

The Unicode Standard, Version 3.0, will have a brief description of
the basic phenomena related to the rendering of the Myanmar script,
but nothing of the kind of detail seen in the Devanagari chapter.

Future versions of the Unicode Standard could benefit from more detailed
descriptions of the script rendering rules of both Myanmar and
Khmer, as well as the Indic scripts such as Malayalam that have
been mentioned in this thread. Mongolian implementations also will need much
more detailed information than that which we can, at present,
publish.

Ultimately, however, there is plenty of room for monograph length
treatments of each major script -- detailing how the text is
represented in the Unicode encoding and rendered in various styles
appropriate to the typographical tradition(s) of that script. Such
detail is beyond what it is reasonable to publish in the standard
itself. But we would like to equalize the situation for scripts
such as Malayalam, where even basic rules of text representation
are absent from the standard currently.

--Ken