RE: English Spelling

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 15:34:38 EST

Neither, really. It's a common misconception (promulgated by some of the
most prominent linguists of the 20th century) that English orthography is
somehow deranged or chaotic; it's actually highly rational, but it is
designed for native speakers, not those who needed a phonemic transcription.
(English orthography is not "alphabetic"; or rather, "alphabetic" is not a
meaningful term in descriptions of written language systems.) But it
carries meaning only in a limited sense; it doesn't supply meaning in the
sense of lexical information. There is a very interesting little book on
this subject by a man named Richard Venezky, published in the early 70's by
Mouton. "The Structure of English Orthography". You can find it at the
various online bookstores. He's got a more recent book (June 1999) on
American Orthography that also looks interesting, but I haven't read it.

> spelling in English.
> I still hate English spelling but I have a little more

That's a shame. The spelling is part of the charm of the language.
"Fixing" it would be like doing away with Kanji in Japan. Think of it as a
highly sophisticated game.

-gregg