RE: EA width, Latin punctuation and fonts

Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 12:50:13 EST

Peter Constable says:
>1. Include both wide and narrow glyphs in a single font and
>encode text using U+3000 etc. (i.e. encode using compatibility

Why do you say that U+3000 is a compatibility character? My understanding of
a "compatibility character" in Unicode is a character that either:

1) has the word "COMPATIBILITY" in its name (from
2) is in a block that has the word "Compatibility" in its name (from

U+3000 seems to fall in neither of these cases: it just has a compatibility
mapping ("<wide> 0020"), as many other characters do.