Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:13:52 EST

                                             Monday, December 20, 1999
To me this seems analogus to the situation with Indic scripts (among
others): An early, voted down version of ISO/IEC 10646 included a good
many Devanagari conjuncts/ligatures. Subsequent versions have not, giving
only the codes for characers and allowing rendering software to do what
available fonts permit and users' needs require (assuming they overlap).
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.