Re: Where to Add new Currency Sign?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 14:14:45 EST

N.R.Liwal wrote:

> Thanks Mr.Peter, exactly that is my point.
>
> Liwal

But the other important point, made by Ken Whistler and others, is that
you cannot simply invent new currency symbols and add them to Unicode
on the chance that one or more countries MAY decide to adopt them some
time in the future.

The symbols must already exist and be in use, in the real world, either
now or in the past. Then they must be proposed formally and approved by
both the Unicode Technical Committee and the ISO 10646 working group.

The dollar sign and pound sign have been in existence and everyday use
for hundreds of years. The Euro symbol was invented by the European
Commission with the intent (and ability) to legislate it into everyday
use in Europe. It was added to Unicode because it was evident that it
would move into common use. That is very different from creating a
symbol without knowing whether anyone will want it.

By my count there are 32 to 35 unallocated code points in the "Currency
Symbols" section of the BMP, so there should be plenty of room to add
more symbols to this contiguous space should the need arise.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California