Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 14:32:56 EST

on 12/27/99 9:36 AM, Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com at Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
wrote:

> Michael gave better evidence for the need of a ZWL. Although he had to
> resort to ancient scripts like Runic, he demonstrated that, in some cases,
> ligatures may not be defined by any kind of rule, being simply a free
> decision by the author. In these cases, there must be a way to encode this
> scribal caprices, or the software will have no other choice than using a
> "default" or "best-fit" rendering.

For me, the AAT and OpenType mechanisms adequately answer this point, as
they allow full control over arbitrary (or automatic) ligature generation or
overriding.

I'm still trying to figure out what I would consider adequate reasons for
requiring ligation control in plain text. I haven't seen them proposed yet,
however.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com