Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: Mark E. Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 11:59:16 EST

> Marco has suggested an alternate solution for "wachstube" using
> a character that indicates the morpheme boundary, suggesting
> the use of U+200B ZWSP; this can certainly solve the problem,
> but wouldn't a soft hyphen be a better choice?
>
> Peter

The ZWSP proposal will not work. The primary function of ZWSP and ZWNBSP
is in word-break for line wrapping. Putting in a ZWSP into the middle of
"Wachs
tube" would allows it to break over a line without a hyphen.

Soft hyphen could work, but only if it were always aligned with the
function of ZWNL. That is, the points at which one wanted to turn off
ligatures would always have to be hyphenation points. This may be true for
German; I am not sure it would be true for other examples that Michael
refers to.

Mark