Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 15:17:34 EST

Gary,
Interesting comments.
I don't see why adding a character is preferable to adding a markup
that operates on a point in-between characters. Seems to me if I have
a mechanism such as a markup language, I would like all commands to go
thru the markup and not have an alternative mechanism for markup that
operates at a point rather than a span.
Having two mechanisms certainly makes it more difficult to design and
implement while insuring the two interoperate and interact reasonably.

Certainly, a good tool would provide easy keyboard generation of the
markup, just as easily as adding a character would require keyboard
generation of the character, so input is not the issue.

tex

--
Spanish Proverb:	Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Tex's Proverb:	Don't email unless you can improve on the screen saver.

Progress Software: The #1 Embedded Database ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tex Texin Director, International Products Progress Software Corp. Voice: +1-781-280-4271 14 Oak Park Fax: +1-781-280-4949 Bedford, MA 01730 USA texin@bedford.progress.com