RE: Fun: English spelling

From: F. Avery Bishop (
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 19:18:43 EST

Another example: Job/job.

F. Avery Bishop
Program Manager, Speech API

-----Original Message-----
From: Kenneth Whistler []
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 2:20 PM
To: Unicode List
Subject: Re: Fun: English spelling

Bob Rosenberg indicated:

> Interestingly, Polish/polish is the only string I know of where
> capitalizing the first letter in the string changes the pronunciation (and

> meaning).

That's strange... I was sure that Mao Tse Tung always used to polish
his Polish furniture with tung oil.

P.S. And if you nitpickers insist that I misspelled the late chairman's name

that it should be Mao Ze Dong -- I don't give a good ding dong!

P.P.S. My friend Else agrees with my analysis, else she would say different.