Re: Globalization for disabilities

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 02:45:08 EST

Ar 08:58 -0800 2000-01-11, scríobh Suzanne Topping:
>I have been asked to do some research on whether anyone out there is
>expanding the concept of globalization to include support for people with
>disabilities. Sometime recently there was a discussion on the Unicode list
>about Braille, and so I am hoping that some list members may be dealing with
>these issues.
>Any referrals to experts or to available resources on this topic would be

I am actively investigating the UCS encoding of Blissymbolics, a language
used by non-speaking people (such as those with severe cerebral palsy) in
numerous countries (see and and SignWriting, a writing
system for Deaf Sign Language, which is being taught quite successfully in
schools in many countries; Brazilian Sign Language and Irish Sign Language
dictionaries are about to be published. ( I
don't know if it is what you conceive of as "globalization support for
people with disabilities" or not, but I'm working on it.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta **
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169