RE: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 20:06:20 EST

At 04:11 PM 16-01-00 -0800, Janko Stamenovic wrote:

>I made the web page which contains some conclusions from the disussion form
>here about the subject (Serbian Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE):

>http://195.228.137.80/SerbianCyr.htm

Janko, thank you for putting this page together, and I hope it focusses
attention on the requirements of Serbian typography. You repeatedly state
on the page,

        Up to now there is no known software which will render the same
        Unicode characters differently if they are tagged as text in Serbian!

To this I would only add that the encoding and font solutions _are_ in
place, and that what is lacking is application support.

The good news is that, because the OT 'locale' layout feature is not
limited in its application to a single language, it should be an attractive
solution for applications to enable national and linguistic typographic
variants. This means that support for Serbian typography does not rely
solely on application developers knowing about or caring about Serbian.
Font developers will need to deal directly with Serbian in GSUB table
entries, so they _will_ have to know and care; I hope your webpage can find
a permanent home to help educate them.

Also good news, is the fact that the Adobe Cyrillic font standard already
contains the Serbian forms in unencoded positions, so there are already a
sizeable number of fonts containing these glyphs waiting to be converted to
the OpenType format.

When I have a chance, I will send you a set of OT lookups to handle these
substitutions. These will be importable into Microsoft's Visual OpenType
Layout Tool (currently in beta testing), so font developers can use them as
sample code or apply them directly to fonts containing the appropriate
variant glyph forms.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC