Re: The Cent & Florin Signs VS. C-Slash & Left-Tailed F

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 12:44:50 EST

Ar 17:23 -0800 2000-01-18, scríobh Asmus Freytag:

>The nicest way would have been to code another florin in the currency
>symbols section. However, the use of the florin shape is the most
>widely implemented (over 100 million seats world-wide), so it would
>probably have to be the f-hook that gets a new code point.
>
>To make any change, there would have to be clear support for this from
>the user community.

What? You think you're going to get comments from Bantuland on the
difference between florin and f-hook? They have other problems right now.
The correct solution is simply to add a new LATIN SMALL LETTER F WITH HOOK
(with some other name I guess) since we have identified an incorrect
unification, since the existing character is already heavily used as florin
-- unless Apple and Microsoft and the rest would jump up and say OK, we'll
remap.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169