Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: Mark E. Davis (
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 09:59:18 EST

Those are good discussions. Let me throw out a few possibilities based on what I
have heard:

- "can represent all of the computerized text in the world"

("all" being slightly broad; there will always be some exceptions, if someone is
using a specialized font to represent characters not in Unicode. Maybe
"essentially all"? Could be "all" if the private use zones are counted.)

- "can represent all of the text for the written languages of the world used in
commerce and publishing"

(Not very snappy. Same caveat for "all" applies)

- "can represent all of the text for commerce and publishing used around the

Add in the sentence somewhere:

"More than half of the world's population uses writing systems other than Latin

P.S., on this thread, I'd appreciate it if people CC'd my work address: