RE: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 10:46:57 EST

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> Besides numbers, also *examples* could catch the attention.
> What about asking Frank da Cruz (and/or Ethan Mollick,
> http://hcs.harvard.edu/~igp/glass.html) to allow using the "I can eat glass"
> text in his UTF8 test page (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html)?

It's certainly OK with me. I copied some of the entries from Ethan's page,
converted them to UTF-8, and added several new ones; some contributed by
readers of this list, others from local polyglots. Of course I would like
to add more languages and writing systems; some very big ones that are still
lacking include Arabic, Korean, and any Indic script. The Celtic languages
are represented well but for Cornish and Manx (and Breton, and...) (but no
Runes or Ogham!) Perhaps something in Serbian italics? (This one would get
a special footnote if it included 'p' or 't' :-)  And how about Cherokee,
Tibetan, Ethiopic, Lao, ...?

The phrase "I can eat glass and it doesn't hurt me" appeals to my sense of
humor (especially in light of Ethan's commentary), but perhaps not to
everybody's. It might need a "not appropriate for children" warning.

As you can also see, I've made a modest start at collecting bits of classic
verse in different scripts; more of that would be good too.

- Frank