RE: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 17:12:09 EST

I think it unlikely that you will ever come up with an entirely accurate
and uncontentious estimate of the number of languages supported by Unicode,
or the percentage of the world's population who can type their native
languages using Unicode text processing. Not only is it unlikely, I don't
really see the attraction in such claims.

A better claim, I think, would be the undeniable one that every major
operating system maker in the world is adopting Unicode for plain text
processing. I don't think, in light of that, you really need to sell
Unicode by making unverifiable guesses about numbers of people or languages.

Unicode: Don't be the only kid on the block without it.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC
www.tiro.com