Re: Language Tagging And Unicode

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 00:35:15 EST

At 14:06 -0800 2000/01/20, John Cowan wrote:
>Janko Stamenovic wrote:
> > And did I mention that the stress marks used in Serbian for analysing the
> > pronunciation combined with letters also don't have their characters in
> > Unicode?
>
>Are they the same marks in Latin and Cyrillic? I'm familiar with the
>Latin ones.

In the Russian dictionaries that I have here, the stress marker looks
like an acute accent. The glyphs are triangles of different shapes,
which is also the case for a number of Latin alphabet fonts I have on
this computer. I don't recall seeing any four-sided accent mark
glyphs in Cyrillic, such as I see frequently in Latin alphabet fonts.
As far as I can tell at the moment, an ordinary combining accent mark
character should be adequate for the purpose given either fonts with
the appropriate accented vowel letters or a smart enough renderer.

I know nothing of stress marks and their usage in any Cyrillic-script
languages other than Russian.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help undo it."