ICU library changes name

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 11:42:30 EST

Hello fellow Unicoders,

our ICU library for Unicode has a new name, reflecting its changed mission:
It changes from "IBM Classes for Unicode" to "International Components for Unicode".

Since 1999-Jun, ICU has been an Open Source library with participation of people outside IBM, and we decided yesterday to finally change our name but keep the abbreviation so that source code, documentation, and web links will not need a lot of changes.
Also, more and more of our code is in C or has a C API, so that the emphasis on "Classes" became outdated.

For a little while now, we also introduced a set of shorter aliases for our homepage (the old, long links continue work):
You can find us now at http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/ ("oss" is the Open-Source Server).

markus