Re: 100% (was Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements)

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 14:36:41 EST

I don't believe the following languages been covered:

Source- The Languages of the World, Kenneth Katzner, Published by
Routledge, ISBN 0-415-11809-3

Batak- Sumatra, Indonesia, 2 million speakers. [page 238-239]
Buginese- Celebes, Indonesia, 2.5 million speakers [page 237]
Javanese- Java, Indonesia, 75 million speakers [page 234]
Nakhi- Yunnan, China, 230 thousand people [page 217]
Sibo- northwestern China, 40 thousand people [page 216]

According to the CIA The World Factbook 1999 [
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html ], there are
5,995,544,836 (July 1999 est.) people world wide [ see
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/xx.html ]

John Clews wrote:

> > mark.davis@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
> > > Covers 95% of all world languages
>
> Covers 100% of all scripts used in national languages worldwide.
> All characters are present for this category.

What do you mean "national languages" ? Do you mean the official language
of the nation for all the nations worldwide ? Remember, nation is
political term which may change tomorrow. The offical national language
will be changed when a new nation form, split, or declare independent.

Even this statement is not true. For example, we know there are many CJK
ideograph is not defined in Unicode 3.0 but will be defined in UCS4.
Unicode 3.0 does not include all the characters defined in CNS 11643 P
1-7.