RE: Font question

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 16:06:50 EST

    François> It is my (very limited and possibly wrong) understanding that
    François> this is next to impossible, unless Mark is a magician. ttf2bdf
    François> "simply" renders the outlines in the TT font unto a fixed
    François> raster, whereas bdf2ttf would have to invent an outline of each
    François> character from a small bitmap. The information is just not
    François> there, hence the necessary recourse to magic.

It can be done, but the results are generally very poor. I believe the GNU
fontutils package has code that traces bitmaps to generate Postscript fonts (I
don't recall if these are Type1 or Type3).
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab I despise Political Correctness for the
New Mexico State University artifice it encourages, but at the same time
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL time treating everyone equally can easily be
Las Cruces, NM 88003 seen as dismissal. -- Me