Re: 8-bit text which is supposed to be UTF-8 but isn't

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar-unicode@algonet.se)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 17:20:15 EST

John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org> writes:
> IMHO (and other i18n type will probably agree), case folding is a bad
> idea in general. For backward compatibility, only case-fold the
> ASCII characters, and leave the others alone.

Hm, the only place where this could be an issue as far as I can recall
is in newsgroup names, where we require lowercase, but we have added a
note where say:

        NOTE: According to the syntax, uppercase letters cannot occur
        in newsgroup-names, but this standard imposes no requirement
        on software to check this condition, since it would be
        unreasonable to expect it to do so in parts of Unicode for
        which it was not configured (in general, a table lookup is
        required). Rather, it is the responsibility of those creating
        new newsgroups (...) not to violate it, It is, moreover, to be
        expected that a newsgroup created in violation of this
        condition will not be propagated particularly well.

Thanks for the rest of your message, which I will forward in whole to
the Usefor list, if you don't mind.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se