Re: MLTE Demo

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 14:21:45 EST

on 1/29/2000 3:00 PM, Franko <franko@omnibus.se> wrote:

> Deborah Goldsmith skribis:
>
>> make a quick MLTE demo app available. Thank you, Marco!
>
> MLTE Demo takes an eternity to start. Is that because it is just a demo,
> or does that depend on initialisation of ATSUI? Jean Michel at CMT
> Development comments that "It seems that initialising ATSUI is still
> taking very long and would represent a serious penalty for roman-language
> PowerMail users if we had depended on ATSUI".

On my 300 MHz G3, I timed it as between 12 and 16 seconds. I guess it
depends on what your definition of "eternity" is.

Undoubtedly most of this time is building the font menu, especially if you
have a lot of fonts (I have a hundred or so, for the tests above). This is
something we know needs performance improvement. Initializing ATSUI itself
takes just a couple of seconds.

A workaround for now is to cache the font menu and rebuild it if the Fonts
folder changes. AppleWorks uses this technique. The Kotoeri in OS 8.6-J had
this same problem; it was fixed for Kotoeri in OS 9.0-J. OS 9.0 Language
Kits has the 8.6 version of Kotoeri, so you'll still see this problem when
Kotoeri is initialized for the very first time.

Perhaps some of these developers would like to communicate directly with
Apple, in particular with me, if they have suggestions for where ATSUI needs
performance work? This is something we are in the process of doing right
now. If no one gives us the information on what they consider too slow, it's
not going to improve. I guess I don't understand why these comments aren't
being sent to us.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group
Apple Computer, Inc.