Off-topic, mostly

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 01:34:04 EST

At 10:28 -0800 2000/01/14, Sarasvati wrote:
[snip]
>As always, I shall continue to be your non-stop source for real-time
>indigestible updates 31,536,000 seconds per year (or 31,622,400 in
>leap years).
>
>Your devoted servant,
>
> Sarasvati

Or possibly 31,536,001 sec/yr, or even 31,622,401 sec/yr, for those
(such as astronomers) who observe the officially announced leap
seconds using close connections to sufficiently precise clocks. (I
hear that the Cesium fountain, with atoms tossed gently upward in
ballistic trajectories from laser "molasses" at about 1E-6 K, is
currently in favor.)

When you consider that in a few years several hundred million people
will have working copies of fairly complete Unicode function and font
libraries and applications, and that there may be fewer than a dozen
reference timepieces in the world, you can start to appreciate
software properly.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help undo it."