FW: MLTE Performance

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 14:28:19 EST

I'm forwarding this here because Marco mentions a new version of his MLTE
application, which now allows some access to ATSUI font features.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com

----------
From: Marco Piovanelli <marco.piovanelli@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:40:56 +0100
Cc: Deborah Goldsmith <goldsmith@apple.com>, Yung-Fong Tang
<ftang@netscape.com>
Subject: MLTE Performance

On 2000-01-30 14:24, Tomasz Kukielka (tkukiel@ire.pw.edu.pl) wrote:

> Apple promised MLTE for systems below 9.0 (in a form of extension called
> Textension, am I right?) saying that the engine will use ATSUI when
> available. But the problem is that ATSUI in Mac OS 8.5 & 8.6 is quite
> unusable... I wonder how Apple programmers are going to work it around -
> I've been using a Unicode text editor based on WASTE ATSUI for few months
> now (in Mac OS 8.6) and I've been able to work only with very small pieces
> of text (~20-40k). I have not upgraded to Mac OS 9 yet - can anyone tell me
> how MLTE handles larger (let's say 100-200k) text files - does it feel
> sluggish?

I ran the following test on my 300 MHz G3. I tried opening a sample
file with both MLTE Demo and Style (my WASTE based editor), and timed
the operation several times using this simple script:

  set x to alias "Dead Souls:Desktop Folder:MLTE Test:test file"

  set t0 to (the ticks) -- from Jon's commands
  tell application "MLTE Demo" -- then "Style"
    open x
  end tell
  set t1 to (the ticks)

  (t1 - t0) / 60

The sample file was a vanilla 'utxt' (standard UTF-16 Unicode) file
weighing in at 188K (95,105 characters), with most characters in
the U+0020..U+007F range (the US-ASCII range). No styles.
Both Style and MLTE Demo had a 2 MB preferred partition size and
were already running when the script was fired.
Style (1.7b1, using WASTELib 2.0a12) took 0.6 seconds on average to
open the file. MLTE Demo took 2.71 seconds on average.

I think MLTE/ATSUI is still perceptibly slower than QD Text/
WorldScript (even with the Unicode Converter overhead), but it's
nonetheless usable on a modern machine.

As for the availability of MLTE on pre-Sonata system software,
I don't know. Maybe Deborah can answer here.

BTW, I posted a new version of MLTE Demo to my website:

    <http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/mltedemo-10a2.sit>

New in this version:

  * Included a carbonated version of the demo.
  * Support for embedded objects (graphics, sounds, movies)
    is now enabled.
  * Keyboard equivalents for menu items work.
  * Added a Features menu that lets you play with ATSUI
    Font features (this one needs some more work).

                                     -- marco

--
I have forced myself to contradict myself,
in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.