Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 11:47:26 EST

Frank da Cruz wrote:

> But then we start thinking we can do the same thing with (for
> example) Latin-2 and CP1250. Which would be a bad mistake, because the two
> are not alike at all. Ditto for Latin/Cyrillic and CP1251. In general,
> Windows code pages are NOT just "extended" ISO 8859-x's.

That's true, but that's why it's so important to *label* the data (with
HTTP charset, for example). Even if we stuck to ISO standards like the
8859-N series, we would still need charset labelling. And it simply
isn't realistic to try to stop the proliferation of data in the Windows
code pages. Is it?

Erik