Historic versus modern ASCII quotes

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 10:12:35 EST

Hi!

On my web page

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html

I have collected some material to discourage 7-bit Unix people from
abusing the ISO Latin-1 characters ` and ' as directional quotation
marks, as this looks silly on many modern environments.

I would be curious, whether you could help me to compile a little list
of the output device tradition with regard to how 0x27 and 0x60 looked
like on historic and current printers, video terminals, etc.

It is my understanding that many US manufacturers (DEC, etc.) followed
the right-quote/left-quote convention (especially in 7-bit models),
while European manufacturers (Siemens/Nixdorf, etc.) followed the
single-quote/grave accent style, especially for terminals with 8-bit
character sets, which is also what the ISO standards and Unicode
suggest.

Do you have any further material on that beyond the collection
of historic video-terminal character-set table manual pages on

  ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/ucsterminal/terminal-exhibits.pdf

Markus