FW: Help with Unicode, Word Perfect and Hebrew

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 13:20:50 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicola Holden [mailto:nicolah@corel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 7:20 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Help with Unicode fonts.

Hi

I work for Corel Corp. in the WordPerfect technical support team, and
would be very grateful for any assistance you can provide me with. I am
having an issue with a customer using Unicode fonts for hebrew
characters and the do not appear on the screen correctly and then they
print out totally different.

The problem the customer is experiencing is the following.

.1. Launch WPWin8
> 1.2. Click Format, Font, select a Corel font (or any non Unicode
font)
> 1.3. Click Ctrl+W 9,0 Insert. Add Hebrew characters 9,1; 9,2; 9,3.
> 1.4. Note the Hebrew characters appear correctly.
> 1.5. Type the <Enter-key> twice.
> 1.6. Click Format, Font, select a Unicode font (eg Lucida Sans
Unicode)
> 1.7. Repeat step 3.
> 1.8. Error: The screen display shows @ABC, although RevealCodes
> shows the correct Hebrew characters.
> 1.9. Save this file as Hebrew.wpd
>
> Steps to reproduce -- error 2:
> 2.1. Launch WPWin8
> 2.2. Click Format, Font, selectX-Mozilla-Status: 0009cida Sans
Unicode)
> 2.3. Click Ctrl+W 9,0 Insert. Add Hebrew characters 9,1; 9,2; 9,3.
> 2.4. Error: The screen display shows !"#$, although RevealCodes
> shows the correct Hebrew characters. These characters are
> offset 32 in the Ansi character set from those displayed in
> step 1.8.
> 2.5. Type the <Enter-key> twice.
> 2.6. Click Format, Font, select any Corel font (or any non-Unicode
> font)
> 2.7. Repeat step 2.3.
> 2.8. Error: The screen display shows Hebrew characters offset by 32
> from those selected, although RevealCodes shows the correct
> Hebrew characters.
>
> Steps to reproduce -- error 3:
> 3.1. Launch WPWin9
> 3.2. Click File, Open, select Hebrew.wpd
> 3.3. Note: all characters are the correct Hebrew characters.
> 3.3. Error: For the Unicode font, the character size is about
> 30% too large.
I have tested this on WP8 and WP7 and the problems are identical on
Windows 98/ NT/ 95. However with WP9 the problem no longer exists. I
have tried everything I can think of but have come to a total block.

I was wondering if you could tell me if Unicode is a supported font
within WP9?
What year was the Unicode font introduced and any other information
would be of great help to me.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Kind Regards
Nicola Holden