MIME charset windows-1252

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:59:09 EST

Erik van der Poel wrote on 2000-02-28 22:17 UTC:
> Anyway, the Unix versions of Netscape 4.X do not support "smart quotes"
> and other characters from the 0x80-0x9F range of windows-1252 very well,
> so it would indeed be a good idea to turn off "smart quotes" in Word (if
> you are interested in reaching UnixNav4 users).

Those who want to test their browsers can have a look at

Since you mention "windows-1252", I wonder, why there has no MIME
identifier for the Microsoft Windows Code Page CP1252 been registered in

CP1252 is documented on

and is extremely widely used.

Microsoft have registered "windows-1251", "windows-1253", etc. but not
"windows-1252". There also is no other charset in the registry that
looks equivalent ("ISO-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1" seems to be a
specific old version without the euro sign and quotes a PCL5 manual as
the official reference).

Very strange. could someone from Microsoft and IANA please look into