Re: Durability of ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:58:23 EST

> When it comes to the long-term preservation of important documents and
> specifications, I far prefer to spread a few ten-thousand CD-ROMs over
> the surface of the earth as opposed to relying on centralized controlled
> storage. The British Museum or the ISO central secretariat burns down or
> gets hit by a meteor several times per millenium on avergage after all.

I'm not aware of London being burned down at all by a meteor
in the last thousand years. (Unless you are suggesting that
the Great Fire that started in Pudding Lane wasn't caused by
a baker.) A comet in the sky was noted in 1066. I'm sure if
London was being destroyed by fire from above, some monk
would have commented on it!

Anyway I think there are three record libraries in the UK where
a copy of every book published must be sent. No need to take
chances!

Apart from the fact that CDs can be destroyed by fire too,
surely a library that is dedicated to preserving information
is a better bet than blind chance. International standards are
such a thrilling read that I'm sure that everyone will want to
pass their CDs on to their children :-)

If anyone involved in the standards process does want the
working notes preserved, either make arrangements youself
or leave clear instructions in your will. Unless one of your
relatives has a passion for standardisation, I suspect they
will just be thrown out when you pass on. Notes stored in
company records probably won't survive an office move
ten years later...

    Tim