RE: U+xxxx, U-xxxxxx, and the basics

From: Jeff Moles (jmoles@sta.samsung.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:31:33 EST

All,

Forgive me for my possibly naive question as I have just begun to follow
these Unicode discussions.

In the last week or so, much attention has been given to the differences and
exact definitions and uses of UTF-32, UTF-16, and UTF-8. There has also
been some mention of UTF-5, UTF-2, and UTF-7.5 (!). However, I have seen no
mention of UTF-7 as described in Unicode std 2.0.

My questions are:

1) Does UTF-7 still have a place in the world?

2) Is UTF-7 a suitable means of encoding and storing strings on disk (or
other nonvolatile memory) for a system that typically would have one (or a
small number) of languages active at any given time?

3) Why would I choose to use UTF-8 or UTF-16 instead?

Thanks for any insight while I work my way through the standards and
technical references.

Jeff Moles
Sr. Staff Engineer
Samsung Telecommunications