Re: encoding ext Latin for PNG

From: Peter Constable (peter_constable@sil.org)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 09:58:17 EST

>By policy, Unicode doesn't do canonical decompositions that
>involve overlays, probably because the exact position of the
>overlay varies too much depending on the underlying letter.

       If there's a problem with positioning of overlays, does that
       constitute an argument for encoding LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U BAR,
       etc rather than encoding these are combining sequences? But
       then, what's the point of having the combining overlay
       characters at all? (This line of argument is in addition to the
       question I raised about possible problems in relation to
       normalization if one half of a case pair is precomposed w/o
       decomposition but the other is a combining sequence.)

       Peter