Re: Multibyte definition

From: A. Vine (avine@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 17:01:13 EST

Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus wrote:

> "A. Vine" <avine@eng.sun.com> wrote
>
> > Unix wide characters are 32-bit, and the charset/encoding
> > scheme they contain depends on the locale you're working in.
>
> I think you're confusing the abstract concept of wide characters
> which are always Unicode, and the local platform's encoding or
> definition of wchar_t. The latter is *usually* 32 bits, but not
> always - sometimes it's 16 and sometimes it's 64. And I wouldn't
> be surprised if some platforms defined it as 8.

Take a look at:

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.45.10/I18N/@Ab2PageView/26800

Do a find on "wide character". In Unix terms, wide character does not mean
Unicode *unless you're working in a Unicode locale*. This is a mistake I've
seen made by more than a few folks.

I don't know that "the abstract concept of wide characters" is Unicode.
Certainly the Microsoft concept of wide characters is Unicode. For folks
writing to this list, I expect the platform definitions of wide character are
more important anyway.

Andrea

--
Andrea Vine, avine@eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect