Re: Multibyte definition

From: Gary L. Wade (garywade@desisoftsystems.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 18:36:31 EST

Brendan

I don't know what compiler you're using, but the standard ones on
Macintosh and Windows define wchar_t to be 16 bits. If it's 32 bits on
Unix (which is what I'm guessing you to mean), then you probably want to
say that "[t]he latter is *usually* 32 bits [on Unix]". Noticing that
you're with Lotus (IBM), I guess you could provide some input on OS/2
compilers' standards for wchar_t.

--
Gary L. Wade
Product Development Consultant

Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus wrote: > > "A. Vine" <avine@eng.sun.com> wrote > > > Unix wide characters are 32-bit, and the charset/encoding > > scheme they contain depends on the locale you're working in. > > I think you're confusing the abstract concept of wide characters > which are always Unicode, and the local platform's encoding or > definition of wchar_t. The latter is *usually* 32 bits, but not > always - sometimes it's 16 and sometimes it's 64. And I wouldn't > be surprised if some platforms defined it as 8. > > You can, of course, put whatever you want into a wchar_t but, > by convention, it tends to be restricted to UCS-2/UTF-16. If > some application is using these types for something else, I'd > be very suspicious indeed.