Re: DIN 5007, Swiss Sorting

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:31:57 EST

> Ar 07:02 -0800 2000-03-13, scríobh Mark Davis:
> >The discussion on http://www.egt.ie/standards/capsmall.html is
> >not particularly convincing.
>
> Well there's no pleasing everyone. What WOULD be convincing, Mark? That
> little document is there to answer Markus' request for reasons for making
> the (arbitrary) choice instead of citing "traditional practice".

I said in the note what is convincing -- actual sorted data. The use of capitals and lowercase in outlines, for example, is simply irrelevant to the case of sorted data, and thus not convincing.

>There, different sources vary quite a bit. The Concise Oxford Dictionary

> >is not the only authority -- the English language does not (thank the
> >gods) depend on a centralized authority like the French Academy.
>
> What rhetoric. I have shown:

"rhetoric"? "shown"?

> 1. That tradition tends to prefer caps before smalls in a wide variety of
> dictionaries.

You have shown it in many dictionaries, but not, by any means, in a majority of dictionaries, nor sorted data in general.

> 2. That there are some logical reasons for making that choice, and
> apparently fewer for making the other.

The reasons you cite (like outlines) are irrelevant, not "logical"

> 3. That the stated editorial practice of Oxford is caps before smalls.

agreed

> 4. That the stated editorial practice of Webster is smalls before caps.

agreed

> Ken Whistler is right: implementations need to provide both options. All I
> can say is that the implementations need to make the ability to choose easy
> for the end user, or the tailorability is pointless.

Here we are in agreement, although I suspect that a large majority of end users will just not care either way.