RE: DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 19:55:45 EST

What a horrible summary of the history of IBM PC! Pls read the intro to my
book "The Personal Computer from the Inside Out", Addison-Wesley (or one of
the original editions under the title of "The IBM Personal Computer from the
Inside Out"). It gives quite a different perspective from a couple of
authors thoroughly familiar with the CP/M - Apple II environment at the
time. It also goes into great length describing the hardware and software
that made the machine such a success in its time. Sure things are much
better now, but IBM did some really cool stuff relative to the state of the
PC art at the time. Then after the IBM AT (a stunning machine for its
time), mainstream IBM caught on, got worried, and disrupted the free spirit
that got the IBM PC going, causing IBM PCs to flounder. E.g., the PS2 line
came out long after Compaq and others had 386 boxes running well and had
stolen the market.

On a different topic, the 125x's will or shortly will be standardized (as
well as de facto) code pages for info interchange on the Internet. One can
gripe about the situation, but it evolved along with the web and there's
nothing one can do to perfect things at this point. Life is a series of
compromises. As is Unicode. If Unicode had been perfect, it never would
have succeeded, since backwards compatibility is so important.

Cheers from drizzleville!
Murray