RE: CP1252 under Unix

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 03:35:10 EST

Ar 09:23 -0800 2000-03-25, scríobh Frank da Cruz:

>Look at the other messages in this thread. Everybody except me, with only
>one other exception so far, is quite willing to treat CP1252 as a standard
>character set, despite the fact that it has never been approvied by any
>standards body and that it, like all PC code pages, violates the very basis
>for character set standards by overstepping the structural bounds.

Frank, stuff gets pumped down the line. In my experience with Eudora's
filters, when coded character sets are tagged and the filter knows about
its name (because the e-mail announces what character set it is sent in)
then there is no problem. Whether the character set used is an
International Standard or an industrial standard like Mac Roman or CP1252.
It would be nice if French ‘ ¦ (ligature oe) were reliably transferred to
my Mac Roman character set when sent from CP1252, since they both exist in
each character set.

>Later, Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I hope, you can all read (and save and load print and edit and quote and
>> reply to!!!) the following nicely with your email and web clients.
>>
>He encloses the same list of characters, but this time in UTF-8. No problems
>whatsoever, and I can even see the characters this time.

Sigh. I couldn't. But soon....

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169