Re: CP1252 under Unix

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 12:14:27 EST

VU> I wonder when will this 'koi8-1' stupidity die out...

VU> There's no such thing as koi8-1, this chimera was accidentally created
VU> in early days by people tweaking XLFD names of iso8859-1 fonts without
VU> much thinking and much understaning of XLFD.

VU> Please, kill it, kill it!

For people wondering what this is about.

The /X Logical Font Description/ (XLFD) is the preferred format for
font names under X11; it consists of 14 fields separated by dashes
(`-'). The last two fields specify the glyph encoding, and are,
respectively, the registration authority and the encoding name.

Three registered XLFD glyph encodings may be used for the Cyrillic
script:

  iso8859-5 (Registry=iso8859, Encoding=5)
  koi8-r (Registry=koi8, Encoding=r)
  iso10646-1 (Registry=iso10646, Encoding=1; why 1?; that's the BMP)

In addition, the following have not been registered (yet?) but have
been witnessed in nature:

  koi8-u (RFC 2319)
  koi8-ru
  koi8-uni
  koi8-e (ECMA Cyrillic).
  microsoft-cp1251

There is no `koi8-1', and there is no reason for such an encoding name.

In order to avoid all confusion: these are XLFD glyph encoding names.
These are *not* character encodings, and any similarity with any
character encodings, real or fictional, is purely coincidental. XLFD
glyph encoding names are maintained by X.ORG, with no reference to any
other registry. XLFD glyph encodings are to be used as glyph
encodings in XLFDs and not for any other purpose; in particular, XLFD
glyph encoding names should not be used for tagging textual data.

                                        J.