Re: Case insensitive comparisions

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 15:21:05 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:24:57 -0800 (PST), david@oz.com wrote:

>Now I'm wondering on this issue, since I am dealing with data from mixed
>locales. For the turkish dotted I (Ï), this means for example that (HÏS)
>will match HIS, which if HIS comes from a non-Turkish environment must be
>considered a false positive result.
>
>Now it seems to me that a false positive result is probably OK for my
>purposes, but a false negative result is not, so I am wondering, are there
>any cases where this would return a false negative result?

At least "HIS" will not match "his" (with a dotless i) when you
transform "HIS" to lower case. In general, Brendan Murray is right.
However, a simple solution would be to try a lower case comparison
first. In the case of inequality perform an upper case comparison.

--
Torsten Mohrin
Sharmahd Computing GmbH, Hannover, Germany