RE: CP1252 under Unix

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 12:13:04 EST

At 05:35 PM 03/24/2000 -0800, Chris Pratley wrote:
>Markus seems to have the practical approach to the current problems. I was
>curious why, if cp-1252 on the net is such a problem for Unix (Mac?) users,
>no one is rushing to fix the browsing experience.

It would help if when there are ANY characters/glyphs in the C1 (x80-x9F)
codepoint range used on the page/in-the-message (created Windows Machine)
to tell the truth and say CP1252/Windows-1252 and not lie by claiming
ISO-8859-1. So long as this is done than the Browser and MUA can map these
characters to the correct glyphs (IOW for the Mac, translate them to the
CORRECT Mac codes not the ones that the Mac<-->ISO tables use which do not
match MS's choice of mappings). For UNIX, just do this automatically even
if the HTML says ISO-8859-1 since there should never be any control
characters in that range and if the codepoints do occur then they are
GLYPHS not CCs.