Re: Case insensitive comparisions

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 18:22:24 EST

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 09:38:27PM +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> If you do case insensitive comparison, the right thing is to
> do it at the case insensitive level of the ISO/IEC ordering
> standard 14651. Don't do uppercase to lowercase mapping first,
> just compare directly, case insensitive.

I concur with Ken, that the comparison should be locale
independent, that is, you shoulddo the comparison based on
the template data of ISO 14651, without modification.

As you would originally only do the folding to lowercase
as preparation for a comparison, it is only natural to skip
this lowercasing step completely and just do the comparison.
For this to work you need an API that can do case-insensitive
comparison, based on 14651 data (as Ken indicated).

Keld