Win2000 international support?

From: Glen Perkins (Glen.Perkins@NativeGuide.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 03:45:40 EST

I just downloaded the Japanese "Global IME" from
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/ie/Features/ime.asp
and ran the installer on my new Win2000 laptop. At all of the i18n events,
the MS folks have always told us that the Asian language packs and IMEs were
fundamentally Win2000 technologies that had just been released a bit early,
but were really a part of Win2000's ability to run any localized app on any
version of Win2000.

Since all of my projects are both multilingual and Unicode-based, I
anxiously awaited having a Win2000 Unicode-based laptop with all Asian
script systems installed, along with Japanese databases, my own Unicode apps
with Global IME support, etc. I finally got the Win2000 laptop. After going
thru the download, though, the installer refused to run, quitting with the
announcement that my version of Windows was "not supported". I assumed that
I must have accidentally downloaded the old one, and went back to the Global
IME site to find either the new Win2000 version or at least some discussion
of Global IME, Win2000, and running localized apps (and hopefully a pointer
to the APIs for writing our own apps).

No luck. The Global IME site is a "cobwebsite". They don't seem to have
heard of this newfangled Windows2000 thing. Though the URL shows it being
under IE 5's "Features" page, there's no link to it from that page, or from
any other page I've ever seen. The only way to find it is with a search, and
you have to know the exact words to search for: "Global IME". As Windows2000
has become more and more "real", the website for this "feature of Win2000"
has become better and better hidden.

Does anyone here know what the story is? I thought we were finally going to
have a Unicode-based equivalent of Mac1991 + WorldScript. (Sorry, I guess
I'm getting frustrated...;-) ).

__Glen Perkins__