Re: Unicode Fonts

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 11:24:11 EST

                                              Thursday, March 30, 2000
Monotype's "Worldtype Solutions Catalogue" includes glyph repertorires for
many but not all Unicode 3.0 scripts--it's loose-leaf, mine has no Tibetan.
It is obviously their stock in trade, not free. I once tried to match
Unicode Devanagari characters and Monotype Devanagari glyphs and found
I could define what I thought were sequences of Unicode character codes
that could represent/invoke all but two glyphs. Whether rendering software
actually exists that would do so I cannot say. In several cases the glyphs
included regional variants for which external clues as to preferences
would probably be needed.

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.