Re: Largest character

From: Gary Bonham (Gary@BonhamDesigns.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 17:18:19 EST

Characters <128 take one byte.
Characters <2048 take two bytes.
All others in the 64K normal range take three bytes each.
There are provisions for characters above 2,097,152 to use three bytes, but
normally unicode is only up to 64K. However when additional space is used,
it still uses two bytes up to the 2,097,152 point.
Using Character Agent from Bjondi, we find that 2048 (hex 0800) is in the
middle of the arabic characters. Below this are things like hebrew,
armenian, cyrillic, greek, and some other misc stuff. All the asian sets are
above this point.