Re: ISO10646-1 XLFD registration

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 14:24:01 EDT

Michael responded:

> >And the European national
> >bodies are tired enough hearing about Etruscan, Gothic, Deseret,
> >and soon to come a dozen more Southeast Asian scripts, etc., etc.
> >They may slow the process down even further.
>
> Why pick on the European national bodies, Ken? Some of them are keenly
> interested in the development of Plane 1. Certainly the dozen or so
> Southeast Asian scripts we are working on are of considerable importance to
> everyone, being living scripts.

Pace. I'm not trying to pick on them -- and should perhaps have said
"some" rather than "the". I am, of course, aware of the Irish
national body's activism in this area. ;-)

It is, however, the case that several European national bodies have
expressed reservations about encoding historic scripts and/or have
submitted procedural documents at the SC2 and/or JTC1 level whose
intention is to slow down or obstruct encoding of further scripts
in 10646. My point, in response to Dan, was that it may take longer
than otherwise assumed to complete encodings, simply because some
national bodies have objections to pushing ahead quickly (or at
all) in this area.

--Ken