Re: Dotless j

From: Peter Constable (peter_constable@sil.org)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 06:10:26 EDT

>DOTLESS J is a character in Swedish L?ndsm?lalfabetet,
>and Norway, Finland, and Ireland will be proposing all
>that stuff in due course. We are coordinating
>L?ndsm?lalfabetet with Dania and Norvegia, as well as
>with the Finno-Ugric Phonetic Alphabet (FUPA) for which
>a preliminary draft has been made available.

       The last time I got involved in discussing dotless j, I got
       shot at, but I'll brave it again...

       This thing was wearily thrashed last summer, and no clear
       evidence for a need for dotless j was presented. Micheal is
       promising us some evidence in the above-mentioned proposal. I'm
       perfectly happy to put this issue aside until they have their
       proposal ready.

       As for TeX, it seems clear that the dotless j is provided for
       use as a presentation form only. Let's please not burden
       Unicode with the skeletons in other people's closets.

       Peter