Re: character names (questions)

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 14:59:09 EDT

Alain,

I think the question was referring to a different problem, not the human language of the names. It was the distinction between "characters" and "code points". It is important for us to be clear about the difference, since they are definitely *not* one-to-one:
- one abstract character can be represented by two different codepoints,
- or by a sequence of codepoints;
- and one codepoint can represent multiple characters.

(see http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/utfencodingforms/ for more information).

So properly speaking, they should be "codepoint names", although loosely speaking we can refer to them as "character names".

The language