Re: Problems/Issues with CJK and Unicode

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:23:01 EDT

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, John Jenkins wrote:

> on 4/7/00 10:25 AM, Mark.Conover@luminant.com at Mark.Conover@luminant.com
> wrote:
>
> I have heard that there are "problems" with the way Unicode handles CJK
> script; perhaps due to the unification of some characters. Would someone
> in this list mind offering a bit more insight into this matter?

> The seriousness of the problem has been greatly exaggerated. Not only does
> the text remain perfectly legible even if written "wrong," under most
> circumstances a native reader might not even notice that it's "wrong" in the
> first place. Moreover, proper use of locale-specific fonts or pan-East Asia
> fonts with glyph shape selectors will handle it without the user being any
> the wiser.

  I compeletly agree with you. However, our Japanese colleagues may soon
raise a serious objection to that(it's 4:22 in +0900 JST, now) :-).
A few years ago when I talked about this issue, one of Japanese sent
me a few ideograms which he supposed I wouldn't recognize or I, as
a Korean, would regard as looking strange. Well, for me, all of them
were perfectly recognizable and those variations are acceptable in
typographic/colligraphic tradition of Korea. There are differences,
but most of them are not that big to be hindrance to recognition and
rare major differences can be dealt with as you wrote above.

    Jungshik Shin