RE: Looking for Telugu Unicode Fonts

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 09:33:51 EDT

Antoine Leca wrote:
> Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote on Unicode list:
> > I think that Office 2000 only supports Hindi and Tamil, by now.
> Hmmm. I believe Office 2000 supports every "official" Indian
> languages,
> but suitable fonts (with Indic Open Type support) are
> currently lacking.
> OTOH, Windows 2000 provide the fonts for Devanagari and Tamil, and
> when used conjointly with Office 2000 you can then write Hindi (or
> Tamil) correctly.

Of course Microsoft products use Unicode, so they can *represent* text for
all the languages of India, at the binary level. But I think that what they
mean for _supporting_ a language is to have proper fonts, keyboard drivers,
localized user interfaces, spellcheckers, etc.

The last time this was asked on the Unicode List (about Explorer), on March
2, 2000, F. Avery Bishop (Microsoft) wrote:

> Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 is enabled for only Devanagari and Tamil,
so
> this is expected behavior when you input Bengali, Malayalam, Oriya,
Telugu,
> Kanada, or any Indian script other than the two supported scripts.
>
> There are plans to support other Indian scripts over time, but I don't
know
> the schedule.

But, actually, I have minor doubts also about MS's claim of supporting
Devanagari.

I have Internet Explorer 5.0 (5.00.2314.1003) on Windows NT and MS Arial
Unicode, but when I try Devanagari text in a HTML page, I see that the
<virama> sign is visibly displayed, rather than causing conjunct consonant
glyphs to be formed.

_ Marco