RE: HTML question clarfication

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:48:01 EDT

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> Isn't there any mechanism in HTML that allows multiple charsets?

Document http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html tells how you can
specify the *language* or *directionality* of a section of text.

Document http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html tells how you can specify
the character set of "this" document, and that of linked documents.

But I couldn't find anything like <P CHARSET="JIS"> ... </P>.

Probably, this is not just a "forgotten thing": probably there are valid
reasons why a single HTML document should be in one single character sets.

For instance: how could you insert an ASCII paragraph inside an UTF-16
document, or vice versa? There would be severe alignment and parsing
problems. (Imagine that the embedded single-byte paragraph has an *odd*
number of bytes...)

Moreover, provided that one can change the character set of the *text*, in
what character set would the *HTML tags* themselves be?

BTW, I also stepped in some interesting stuff about HTML
internationalization: http://www.w3.org/International/O-help.html,
http://www.w3.org/International/O-help-lang.html,
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset-lang.html. They seem relevant for
this thread's topic.